Pioneer Street

Pioneer Street was originally Williams Street. It was renamed Pioneer Street on April 20, 1903 quite certainly after the Pioneer Iron Works, founded in 1866, which was located on the street.

The factory is now (as of 3/19/2020) home to Pioneer Works, "a center for research and experimentation in contemporary culture."

Item Relations

This Item Replaces Item: William Street
This Item is related to Item: Pioneer Works

Sources:

  • Dikeman, J.  The Brooklyn Compendium, Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.). Common Council.  1870.  https://books.google.com/books?id=jvpHAQAAMAAJ (accessed 2016)

     Sherman, Herman. "Red Hook Place-Names." Graduate Thesis, Brooklyn College, 1965.

Share this Item