Merechkatvikingh village

Native-American Lenape people were living in Red Hook long before the first Dutch colonialists arrived. Records of the Dutch West India company mention a village called Merechkatvikingh in the area of Red Hook. What scant information that exists suggests that Merechkatvikingh was fortified by a wooden stockade and that the residents had cleared land to farm corn (fertilized with fish).

On May 27, 1640 Governor Kieft,  the Dutch administrator for their colony of New Netherland granted his predecessor Frederick Lubbersen a patent to the lands "near Merechkawikingh about Werpos, reaching in breadth from the kil and valley that comes from the Gowanus... to the Red Hook under the express condition, that the savages shall voluntarily give up the maize land in the aforesaid piece" (in Tooker).

Neither the Dutch Government nor the Native Americans sanctioned this deal but it appears to mark the begining of European settlement in Red Hook.  Cruelly treated and crowded out, the natives of Merechkatvikingh relocated across the water to Staten Island.

Images

Native American depicted by European, c. 1650

Native American depicted by European, c. 1650

This print of a Native American was made from an etching by Flemish painter Abraham van Diepenbeeck (1596 - 1675) around the time Dutch began moving to Brooklyn | Source: Etching by Abraham van Diepenbeeck, print by Adriaen Millaert.In the collection of the British Museum, Number F,3.206.© The Trustees of the British Museum View File Details Page

Sources:


  • Brooklyn Daily Eagle Almanac, 1893, compiled by William Herries, Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1893
    https://books.google.com/books?id=E0HOAAAAMAAJ 

    Record of American Folk-Lore The Journal of American Folklore Vol. 6, No. 23 pp. 309-314 Published by: American Folklore Society
    http://www.jstor.org/stable/533917

    Wm. Wallace Tooker, Indian Names of Places in Brooklyn. Francis P. Harper, NY 1901

    Etching by Abraham van Diepenbeeck, print by Adriaen Millaert.
    In the collection of the British Museum, Number F,3.206.
    © The Trustees of the British Museum

Share this Item