Lightship No 84, sunk off old Revere Sugar dock in 1997. Its tall masts remained sticking up out of the water for 12 years, a reminder of what will happen when a boat is not cared for.
Built in 1907, the ship served for many years as a floating lighthouse, marking dangers to navigation. After years of service in 1968, it was decomissioned and donated to a seafaring school in Maryland. In 1987 it was sold to and towed to Yonkers to become a restaurant. That plan fell through and it was left near the Tappan Zee Bridge where it was spotteted and aquired by the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum. The museum sold it a few years later when they were given a different lightship in much better shape. After overstaying its welcome at Caddell's Dry Dock - the new owners did not want it back - it ended up moored to the Revere Sugar dock. There it could have remained afloat with regular pumping, but not receiving that -it sunk.