Devine Burtis started his shipbuilding business in 1840. Originally in Manhattan, the shipyard moved in the 1850s to the foot of Conover Street, Red Hook, Brooklyn.
Between 1840 and 1901 they built ferries for New York ferry companies and the Central and Pennsylvania Rail Road companies. Among their better known boats are the FULTON ferry, built in 1852 for the Union Ferry Company, and the ill-fated PS GENERAL SLOCUM, built in 1891 for the Knickerbocker Steam Ship Company. The GENERAL SLOCUM tragically caught fire and sunk in 1904 killing 895 people. The yard closed in 1905.
A list of ships built in the shipyard of Devine Burtis can be fount at the shipbuildinghistory.com website