Joris Remsen, the second son of Rem Jansen, was the ancestor of the Remsen family in the US. He built a mansion near the brow of the Heights, which was used for hospital purposes by the British during their occupation of the town in the Revolution. Later on, Philip Livingston, Esq., became the owner of an extensive portion of the old Remsen estate.
This according to Henry R. Stiles's A History of the City of Brooklyn Vol. 1, first published in 1867.