Seaman's Handbook for Shore Leave, 1920
Seaman's handbook for Shore Leave, by United States Merchant Marine’s Social Service Bureau. Custom House, published in 1920 listed sailor’s homes – places were sailors could get a bed and sometimes a meal for a night - from Aalborg, Denmark to Yokohama, Japan. The Brooklyn entry listed places primarily in and around Red Hook, including:
- Scandinavian Sailors’ Temperance Home at 172 Carroll St.
- Norwegian Seamen’s Mission Church at 111 Pioneer St.
- Norwegian Bethel Ship M. E Church’s Sailor’s Mission at Sullivan & Richmond Sts., Red Hook Point
- Finish Seamen’s Mission at 529 Clinton St.
- Seamen’s Goodwill Center, 92-94 Hamilton Avenue [The Brooklyn Motor Inn operates at that location, today.]
The guide also listed where to go for Legal Aid, Medical Aid, and relevant union offices, such as the Marine Firemen, Oilers & Watertenders at 110 Hamilton Avenue.