Candy Makers Fined, Atlantic Dock, 1913

The storehouses of Atlantic Dock were originally built for storing goods from ships, but as trade routes changed many were converted into factory spaces. In 1913 the William J. Tulin Company had a large candy making operation, at 1 and 3 Atlantic Dock. This is revealed in the press which reported that they were fined for having filthy rooms and making candy out of putrid chocolate.

Transcription of the article in The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, June 27, 1913

The William J. Tulin Company, candy-makers; were fined $250 yesterday after-noon by the Court of Special Sessions, in which Justices Salmon, O'Keefe and Russell are sitting. Filthy rooms in which candy was made was the charge, and Inspector Albert W. Kroz was the complainant. He swore that he found dirt and rubbish within five feet of the store-rooms, that water pipes were dripping rusty water all ever the floor and benches, dirty clothing was thrown about on tables, and that bags and cooling tables were dirty. Represented by William T. Tulin, secretary of the corporation, the company at first pleaded not guilty, but later withdrew that plea and substituted one of guilty.

There was another charge made against the same firm by Inspector Kroz, who in an affidavit swore that the company had 325 pounds of chocolate which was to be used for candy and which was almost putrid. Secretary Tulin pleaded not guilty for his company on this charge, but after trial they were found guilty. Sentence was suspended in this case view of the large fine imposed in the other

These manufacturers have a big factory at 1 and 3 Atlantic Dock.





  • The Brooklyn Daily Eagle June 27, 1913

Share this Item