The Dalzell Towing Company purchased the Red Hook Towing Company in 1925 to expand their operations into Brooklyn. They then moved their offices to the Erie Basin breakwater (the man-made protective pier that encloses the basin) from Manhattan.
In the 1950s the National Association of Manufacturers, released a series of short films under the heading, Industry on Parade. One, entitled "Workhorses of the Harbor!," featured the Dalzell Towing Company's operations.
THE BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, New York, January 7, 1925
DALZELL TOWING CO. BUYS RED HOOK BARGE OFFICES
With the purchase of the offices and equipment of the Red Hook Towing Company, the Dalzell Towing Company, 21 State St., Manhattan, is today planning to extend its business to this boro and actively engage in commerce on the Brooklyn waterfront; The Dalzell firm is operated by F. B„ W. F. and Lloyd H. Dalzell, sons of the founder, and residents of the boro.
The merger, members of the firm said this afternoon, will give the company the Red Hook Barge offices in the Erie Basin breakwater for its boro trade. Capt. R. 13. Drew, former owner of the Red Hook company, is to be identified with, the Dalzell firm.
●Text from Article:
THE EAST HAMPTON STAR. SEPTEMBER 7, 1939
Long Island Obituaries
Mrs. E. H. Dalzell
Mrs. Emily Handy Dalzell, widow of Commodore Fred B. Dalzell, prominent Brooklyn shipping man, died Saturday evening at her summer home in Westhampton Beach. She was 80 years old.
She was the mother of G. Howland Dalzell, who died last June and is survived by a son Fred B. Dalzell who is president of the Dalzell Towing Company; a sister, Mrs. Mabel Fenwick of Milford. Pa., and a brother, James F. Handy of Essex, Conn.
Mrs. Dalzell's husband, who died in 1916 founded the Dalzell Towing Co., and was a former president of the Crescent Athletic Club.
Private funeral services were conducted by her brother-in-law, the Rev. Harry J. Fenwick. Interment was in Greenwood Cemetery.