Coles Street

Coles Street opened in 1850. It was likely named after Jordan Coles, who, among his various enterprises, ran a one of Brooklyn's seven water powered mills in the early 1820s. Together the mills produced most of Brooklyn's flour, over 6,000 barrels in 1824.

Item Relations

Item: Van Cortland's Mill - Van Dyke's Mill, pre-1689 is related to This Item

Sources:

  • Sherman, Herman. Red Hook Place-Names. Graduate Thesis, Brooklyn College, 1965

    Stiles, Henry Reed.  A History of the City of Brooklyn: Including the Old Town and Village of Brooklyn, the Town of Bushwick, and the Village and City of Williamsburgh, Volume 2
    p. 212

Share this Item