Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.
Fullscreen MapMap Show Current LocationMy Location

Tide mills were used in Red Hook to grind grain into flour.  They were also used to grind ginger.  Water from the twice daily high tides was captured in mill ponds. A gate could be opened, sending the water rushing down a channel and...

Tags:

Historian Henry Stiles writes in his 1884 history of Brooklyn: "The southern portion of the Hook was a high hill covered with locust, poplar, cedar, and sassafras trees. This hill was cut down in 1835 by Messers. Dikeman, Waring and Underhill for...

Subjects: Real Estate

Coles Street opened in 1850. It was likely named after Jordan Coles, who, among his various enterprises, ran a one of Brooklyn's seven water powered mills in the early 1820s. Together the mills produced most of Brooklyn's flour, over 6,000 barrels...

The landscape of Red Hook has been dramatically changed by people at least twice in its history.  Starting in a major way around 1830, marshland was filled in to make solid land, and the coast line was modified to better suit boats. Nearly...

Share this Page