Flattening Hills to Fill Mill Ponds: 1835

Historian Henry Stiles writes in his 1884 history of Brooklyn:
"The southern portion of the Hook was a high hill covered with locust, poplar, cedar, and sassafras trees. This hill was cut down in 1835 by Messers. Dikeman, Waring and Underhill for the purposes of filling up the neighborhood mill ponds, lower ground and drowned marsh."

Date:

1835

Subjects

Sources:

  • The Civil, Political, Professional and Ecclesiastical History, and Commercial and Industrial Record of the County of Kings and the City of Brooklyn, N. Y., from 1683 to 1884, Volume 2 W. W. Munsell & Company, 1884. Page 159.

Share this Item