Van Dyke Street
Van Dyke Street is almost certainly named for the Van Dyke family, 18th century residents of Red Hook. Mathias and Nicholas Van Dyke at one time owned most of Red Hook. After the death of Mathias in 1834 his land was sold to the Red Hook Building Company. Van Dyke is also notable for purchasing Van Cortland Mill in 1712. The mill, erected sometime prior to 1789, was roughly at the corner of present day Dikeman and Van Brunt Streets. It used water power to mill grain.
For more about mills, see the essay on Red Hook's Water Powered Ginger Mill and view related items.