Photo taken July 26, 1939 from the Columbia Street "long dock" of a family posing aboard their home: the canal barge G.W LETHBRIDGE.
The G.W. LETHBRIDGE. was a canal boat that transported grain down the Erie Canal to Red Hook's Grain terminal. In October 1927, the Buffalo Currier-Express recorded the LETHBRIGE as passing Buffalo loaded with 660 tons of wheat.
It is likely that the family that lived on the LETHBRIDGE, wintered over at the foot of Columbia with the kids going to local Red Hook schools.
The photo is part of the New York City Housing Administration's collection of views of Red Hook before the large apartment buildings known as the Red Hook Houses was built in 1939.